As you are on this page, let’s assume that you are interested in purchasing a circular saw. Circular saw is on the top of the list of power tools used for home garage and professional workshops. This is a very strong and a versatile tool with power and portability. This is extremely powerful tool for any craftsman. But to get the most out of a circular saw, you need to get the best circular saw in the market. And there is no single best circular saw.
The modern innovation has made the machine tools very much user specific. So the tip is always asking yourself what you need. And then collect the answers. Be honest with the answers, and then you will see a list of products will pop up in front of you. Yes, these are the right circular saws; now choose the one you like most.
Best Circular Saw Reviews
Choosing from an overwhelming number of products in the market is really confusing. We went through a wide number of circular saws. Then we looked for what are the users’ preferences about a circular saw. Then we narrowed our data and found the 10 best circular saw models. We considered the features that will be most helpful for the users. Solid structure, cutting accuracy, versatility and proper value for price, these four was the main considerations. We collected the feedbacks of the users and then independently ranked those products based on their features and customer feedback.
DEWALT DCS391B 20-Volt MAX Li-Ion Circular Saw
- Powerful 460 Max watts out, 5250 RPM (Rotation per minutes) motor
- High strength and lightweight magnesium shoe
- 0 degree to 50 degree bevel capacity
- Comes with 6 1/2” carbide tipped blade
Dewalt is a brand having legacy of manufacturing power tools for decades. This DCS391B stands up to the standard that Dewalt provides. The extremely powerful 460 MWO (max watts out) 5250 RPM motor is designed to cut through most cuts of woods without any effort. This lightweight tool is easy to maneuver on the job. With the weight of the battery the total weight is slightly more than eight pounds. The magnesium shoe is lightweight and designed to work for a long time.
This will need a 20- volt MAX lithium-ion battery to keep operating at the highest speed. The batteries are easily interchangeable. In case it loses the power, you should keep some spare batteries. The blade of this circular saw comes with a six and a half inches carbide blade. With 16 teeth it can tear through woods of any thickness. With an arbor of 5/8 inch, it is a simple task to change the blade. At a 90 degree angle the circular saw cut a depth of 2 ¼ inches and 1 5/8 inches at a 45 degree angle. So if the wood is 1.5 inches thick, the saw is capable of cutting two times. A durable comfort grip is molded over the saw for enhanced comfort and additional control.
This professional looking circular saw comes with a warranty of three years which is an assurance of the quality components it has. And the price of this product is another impression. The combination of solid structure, impressive performance and the affordable price has made this one of the best circular saws available in the market.
Makita SP6000J1 6-1/2-Inch Plunge Circular Saw with Guide Rail
- Powerful 12.0 Amp motor for ultimate performance in a wide range of materials
- Precision accurate cutting delivers a splinter free mirror finish
- Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load for smooth cutting
- Variable speed control dial (2000- 5200 RPM) enables user to match the speed to the application
- Large cutting capacity
- Bevel capacity (-1 to 48 degree) with positive stops at 22.5 degree and 45 degree
- Soft star feature for smooth start-up
Makita SP6000J1 is one of the most popular circular saws. With the powerful 12 amp motor this delivers smooth and straight cuts. The circular saw and the rail system work together for accurate cuts. The can bevel from -1 to 48 degrees. The magnesium base of the saw has a lock system to assure that the saw will not separate from the track or tip over during operation. It features positive stops at 45 degree, 22.5 degree, 0 and -1 degree.
To change the blade, Makita SP6000J1 requires an Allen wrench. The wrench can be stored on board in the saw’s perpendicular handle inboard. The ergonomic design of this circular saw is pretty impressive but the dust collection system is average. The overall design of this circular saw is very smart. The blade it comes with, is also strong and very good quality. This is well worth the money and comparing to the other expensive model this is a smart option for them who has limited budget. This is very easy to use.
The versatility and the cutting ability of this circular saw have made it one of the best circular saws in the market. It feels great using the saw and the performance is exceptionally well. There we found some negative reviews from the customers, but those are more about the specific unit that they got, not about the model. So it is a smart choice and a very good purchase.
Makita 5007MGA Magnesium 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw with Electric Brake
- Powerful 15.0 amp motor provides up to 5800 RPM for solid performance and durability
- Lightweight magnesium saw for accurate and precise cut
- Feature larger rubberized levers for easy, quick and single-handed adjustment
- Comfortable rubber grip handle for better fit and more control
- Settings are easy to read with oversized numbers and ruler marking
- Large cutting capacity and bevel capacity (0-56 degree) with positive stops at 22.5 and 45 degree
- Tow built-in Led lights for illuminating cutting line
This is one of the most popular circular saws by Makita. For any kind of wood cutting project, Makita 5007MGA is perfect fit. The versatility is awesome so you can use it for cutting metal as well. The solid construction but the lightweight body is very impressive feature. The 15 amp induction motor operates at 5800 RPM. This speed can through many thick surfaces. At 90 degree you can cut 2 ½ inches thick and at 45 degree you can cut 1 ¾ inches. You can cut 1 3/8 inches thick at an angle of 56 degrees.
The blade has 24 teeth and the diameter is about 7.25 inches. The sturdy magnesium body helps to make the body very light, yet very powerful. The electric brake can stop when you release the trigger. Two LED lights help you through the cutting process making the cutting line more visible. This helps in precision and accuracy. The vibration is also minimum comparing to the other models of circular saws.
There are few drawbacks, but they are not deal breakers. Like the rip fence could be a little longer. The tool case could be a bit bigger with more space. You can easily deal with the issue. But the quality product you are getting at the price is really exceptional. This is undoubtedly one of the best circular saw models in the market.
DEWALT DWS535 7 1/4-Inch Worm Drive Circular Saw
- Includes 7 ¼ inches circular saw, 7 1/12 inches carbide tipped blade
- No-load speed of 4800 RPM
- Strong but lightweight construction of magnesium for optimum user handling
- Durable cast magnesium footplate for tough and solid cutting platform
- Extra wide saw hook
- Toughcord cord protection for 4 times better cord jerk protection
- 53 degree bevel capacity with positive stops at 22.5 and 45 degree
Dewalt DWS5357 is a worm drive circular saw, very lightweight but strong and powerful. This heavy duty circular saw is good for all day work. The unique selling point of this saw is the speed of work. It cuts faster than any other circular saw models of its category. The combination of all the components and the features are intended for performance and durability.
The motor is significantly large and powerful, encased in a metal housing. This is a 15 amp motor that squeeze the maximum power out of a 120 volt circuit. There are few more powerful motors available but they will not outperform the motor of this circular saw. The upper and the lower blade covers are made of magnesium and they provide the saw incredible durability. The magnesium baseplate of the circular saw is heavily ribbed. The baseplate tilts up to 53 degree. There is a single lever that locks the plate in place. The scale stops at 0, 22.5, 45 and 90 degree. It comes with an all-metal storage hook, with small tabs to assure that the saw does not slide along the piece of lumber it was put down on.
This is one of the best circular saw models out there in the market. The only drawback we found is the size. Sometime it may feel too large for some small projects. This is especially best for plywood, better than any other circular saw. The price and the quality and the performance, combination of all three gives you a really great experience while using this circular saw for any do it yourself home projects or at workshop.
SKILSAW SPT77WML-01 15-Amp 7-1/4-Inch Lightweight Worm Drive Circular Saw
- Lightweight magnesium construction reduces user fatigue
- 53 degree bevel allows user to perform a wide variety of cuts
- 15 amp powerful motor for ripping through more lumber in less time
- Features anti-snag lower guard for smooth operation for small cut-off pieces
- Cut-ready TM depth or cuts system for quick and accurate depth measurement
This is another worm drive circular saw for precision cut and accurate results. The performance is unparalleled for its category. The magnesium construction has made it very light yet strong and durable. This is very easy to handle and maneuver. The dual-field 15 amp motor is designed especially for circular saw. With plenty of power and torque this is a great tool for any cutting job.
The baseplate can be tilted up to 53 degree and offers a wide range of cutting ability. This features a cut-ready feature which is great for adjusting cutting depth. This is used to measure the depth of cutting accurately. This feature is very much helpful for precision. The weight is another impressive feature. Without the blade it weighs only 12 pounds. The blade that comes with the circular saw is top quality and has a lot of good uses.
There you may find some smaller issues with the product, but overall most of the customers agree that this is a very good purchase for the price. Sometimes you may find an issue with the bevel features. Some users complained that the 45 degree bevel settings sometime works and sometime it does not work. It can be annoying, but it’s not a deal breaker.
DEWALT Bare-Tool DC390B 6-1/2-Inch 18-Volt Cordless Circular Saw
- 3700 Rotation per minute speed for fast rip cuts and cross cuts
- 6 ½ inches carbide tipped blade for double cutting capacity at 90 degree and 45 degree
- High strength magnesium shoe and upper guard protection for durability and security
- The tool can be tilted up to 50 degree for bevel cuts and that provides enhanced capacity for different applications
- Fan-cooled motor with replaceable brushes for maximum power and rigidity
This strong and powerful circular saw is very easy to use. The construction is very smart and light. It can be handled by both right and left hands. The performance and the working capability of this Dewalt DC390B are surprising. It is compact and lightweight yet very much powerful. The durability and the toughness of this circular saw have made it one of the best circular saws in the market.
This is a cordless circular saw. The motor is fan cooled. The replaceable brushes are there for maximum life. The 6.5 inch carbide tipped blade had twice cutting capacity both at 45 degree and 90 degree. For fast cross cuts and rip cuts the maximum speed of this saw is 3700 RPM. The bevel capacity is up to 50 degree and this makes the circular saw a really versatile one.
The only problem you may find with this is the use of power. It uses a lot of power. For a whole day’s job you may need 4 batteries for the saw. But overall performance and the versatility is really amazing. And most of the users are satisfied. They recommend this circular saw to use for most of the DO IT YOURSELF projects.
DEWALT DWE575SB 7-1/4-Inch Lightweight Circular Saw with Electric Brake
- 1500 Max Watts Out and 5100 RPM motor
- This is the lightest circular saw of its category, weighing 8.8 pounds
- Has up to 57 degree bevel capacity, with positive stops at 22.5 and 45 degree
- Integrated dust blower for clean cut line
- Electric brake as a safety feature, to stop the blade after the trigger is released
- Very much user friendly
This excellent circular saw is of compact design. The combination of powerful motors, versatility, solid performance and the best value price has made it one of the best circular saws in the market. This is the lightest tool we have reviewed yet. This is so powerful that it can rip through the toughest materials. The design is pretty comfortable and balanced. This comes as a trade off of the visibility of blade. But you can still see the significant part of the blade.
This features a spindle lock. Integrated dust blower is there for cleaning the dust and making the cutting line more visible. At a 90 degree angle the tool can cut up to 2 9/16 inches depth. In 45 degree angle it can up to 1 29/32 inches depth. With a bevel capacity up to 57 degree this is a versatile tool and can be used on a wide variety of materials.
It comes with an impressive three years warranty. Like the other Dewalt products, this comes with amazing quality. There are few drawbacks. One is the circular saw does not come with a rip fence. A rip fence helps the user to make several perfect cuts in a row. Otherwise overall it is a smart purchase for the price.
Black & Decker BDCCS20B 20-Volt MAX Lithium-Ion Circular Saw Bare Tool, 5.5-Inch
- High torque motor, 5.5 inch fast cutting blade for a variety of cuts
- Tool-free depth of cut for easy and quick depth adjustment
- Bevel adjustments with detents at 45 and 90 degree
- Compact design for ease of use
This is one of the most popular circular saws. This compact circular saw is well designed and powerful. This is easy to use; also you can use for it any types of materials. The powerful high torque motor delivers the power for any applications. The tool-free depth cut system allows the user to measure and cut at any depth adjustment.
The 5.5 inches blade that comes with the saw provides smooth and fast cutting performance. This is ideal for tough everyday jobs. This is perfect fit for home use. We do not recommend it for heavy duty professional works. But if you have a budget and looking for something that will serve you pretty good for the home projects, this one is one of the best circular saws for you.
Bosch CS5 120-Volt 7-1/4-Inch Circular Saw
- Left blade designs for clear visibility for accurate cutting
- Improved spindle lock for quick and easier blade change
- 15 Amp motors for extreme power
- On-tool wrench storage
- Features carbide construction blade with 24 teeth
If you are looking for a circular saw and you have a budget, this one is one of the best circular saws for you. The Swiss engineering assures that you are getting a good quality product. Bosch has a legacy of serving the world with amazing tools; this is another example of that.
The left bladed design is very interesting. The machine is not very lightweight, but the overall construction is solid. And in hand it feels really comfortable. This well balanced circular saw cuts all the time effortlessly. Because of the left blade, there you get a clear line of sight of the cutting line. So that is extra help for you to cut with accuracy.
This gives you a very confident cutting experience. Every time you start using the circular saw, you will feel like having the power in your hand. The powerful motor does not make much noise, it is very silent. The cutting is accurate, the performance is solid and the construction is durable. It lacks a rip fence and this is the only drawbacks we found. Otherwise the overall performance and accuracy are combined perfectly by Bosch. This offers you the best experience that you can get at home. So if you are looking for a circular saw in a budget, this is undoubtedly one of the best circular saws available in the market.
Rockwell RK3440K VersaCut Circular Saw
- Powerful multi-functional ultra-compact circular saw
- Lightweight and balanced design
- Includes laser guide indicator for more accuracy
- Powerful 4.0 Amp motors
- Slim and ergonomic design
- Easy to set depth indicator
This is not for the professionals. But for the hobbyists, Rockwell RK3440K is one of the best options for small “Do it yourself” projects. The super compact design and the power is a good combination here in this tool. The ergonomic and the lightweight design of this mini-circular saw is probably the most impressive feature. The entire tool is really well-balanced. It is more powerful than some cordless circular saws. The motor is a 4 amp 120 volt with no load speed of 3500 RPM.
For inch thick cuts, the performance of this tool is really surprising. The blade diameter is 3 3/8 inches. The minimum depth of the cut is 1/8 inch and the maximum depth is 1-1/16 inch. It cuts wood and thin aluminum. As a miniature circular power saw it makes rip and plunge cuts with amazing accurate results. The design is intended to reduce the user fatigue. This is a low-weight and high performance circular tool, for DIYers.
This is an impressive tool, but if you are looking for something serious professional purpose, you should not purchase this. If you are hobbyists and want to use this for small home projects, this one is one of the best circular saws you will get in the market.
Types of Circular Saws
There are different types of circular saw. As we mentioned earlier, certain types are specifically good for certain tasks. The basic design of all the circular saws is almost the same. They have few other things in common like portability, high power. The most common type of circular saw is the sidewinder circular saw, this is also known as the inline saw. This lightweight and compact circular saw has its blade attached directly to the motor’s driveshaft. This is very powerful tool with compact design and the versatility of this circular saw is pretty amazing.
To translate the power of the motor to the blade, worm drive saw use a worm gear. This is well-known because of its raw power. It can carve through even the most difficult material. This is slightly awkward to handle because it has to sacrifice the maneuverability for its raw power. Another type of portable circular saw is the cordless ones. This is easy to use because there is not cord and you don’t have to drag any extension. This is very convenient for portability. But this is not very powerful, unlike its corded counterparts. If you are working is some areas where power is not available or not easily accessible, a cordless tool is very much convenient.
There are some smaller models named trim saws. They are especially for some smaller jobs like finishing work or wall paneling. You can work on lighter materials with those.
How to Choose The Best Circular Saw
If you are going to make a purchase of machine tool and you do not know the related terms, there are chances that you will end up purchasing something that is not right for you. Sometimes you should know about how the tool works. Here we will be talking about some considerations that you must know before purchasing the best circular saw for your work.
- Design: When you are looking for a purchasing a power tool, the power feature and the cutting ability are supposed to be the most important considerations. But they are not. We have reviewed lots of power tools and there is something we found, you may think a bit of unusual. In a long run, the best circular saw have almost similar power features and the cutting ability. So they don’t impact much on the performance. What separates the ‘great’ performance from the ‘ok’ performance is the design. This is why we considered the design to be the most important consideration. When you will find that all the high-end circular saws cut accurately and they are extremely powerful, the design will take you into the consideration.Now specifically what will you consider as a part of design? Does the saw have dust chute or dust blower? Are they adjustable? Do they make any problem to the visibility? Does it have a sturdy carrying case? So these answers are helpful to make the decision. We will be talking about them in details later in the next segment below.
- Cutting features: The cutting capacity of the saw is very important. The greater the capacity the thicker the wood you will be able to handle with the saw. You should also know the bevel capacity for bevel cuts. This determines how versatile the tool is and the angle of cut. Some offer bevel stops that lock the blade in a certain angle. This offers increased accuracy and enhanced control. You should know the maximum bevel angle and the maximum cutting depth at 45 degree
- Safety features: Any power tool can be pretty dangerous. But the premium models come with safety features that secure your finger. In a circular saw an electric brake is a handy feature. This brake can stop the spinning blade quickly and it can be a life-saving feature. There should be a blade guard so that the blade is not exposed while not being use.
Above we have discussed the basic considerations before purchasing the best circular saw. Now to dive deeper we will be talking about some specific queries about the design as we mentioned earlier.
- Blade: Blade is the key part of a circular saw. There are different blades available for different applications. To cut softwood, there are steel blades. They are pretty inexpensive and dull quickly in hardwood. Carbide-tipped blades have carbide tips attached to the teeth. They are more expensive but stay sharp for longer time. There are diamond-tipped blades, those are best for ceramic tile cutting. For cutting concrete, cinder block or other masonry materials, there is masonry blade, made of abrasive materials. Always when you are replacing the blade, make sure the new blade if compatible with the circular saw you own.
- Cut line indicator: This is little pair of notches in front of the baseplate. You can line up the blade with the cut line. This is very important for the accuracy and the precision. Because this indicator will help you follow the line. You need to know if the blade is right on the line. Make sure that the indicator is not misaligned or oversized.
- Blade visibility: The blade should be always on sight for precision. While using the saw, you will not always be able to follow the indicator. In that case, there is some space through the appendages for you to see the blade on the line. In the best circular saws you will have a clear view of the blade on the cutting line. And if the circular saw is poorly designed, there will be obstacles on the line of sight with parts like handles, guards and spindle locks.
- Bevel function: If you want to do some serious work or something more than just trimming, then you will need accurate setup. This is really important to have a bevel lever or knob so that you can operate the machine and lock securely. The best circular saw will have a large scale with detents at the most commonly used angles, like 0, 15, 30 and 45 degree.
- Baseplate: You have to consider the construction of the baseplate. Stamped aluminum baseplates bend easily if dropped, but it can be bent back into place for a quick fix. Cast aluminum and cast magnesium baseplates are stronger. But a serious drop will be the reason of a broken baseplate. There will be no chance of fixing that. There are fiber-reinforced plastic baseplates, the construction is super tough. But to be stiff, they need to be made thick enough.
- Depth adjustment lever: This is a great feature for accuracy and precision. There are levers so that you can fix the depth and then lock it there at that certain measurement. The depth scale should be easy to read and the marking should be clear. Sometime there are stickers as a marker. But they are not permanent. We prefer cast numbers or engraved marking for a longer lasing sign. Be sure that the lever is easy to grasp and easy to operate. The location of the lever is important; sometimes it gets really difficult to operate if not located properly.
Above factors are the most important factors related to design of a circular saw. Besides the basic consideration of power feature and the cutting features, you cannot ignore those to have the right circular saw for you. You are more likely going to use this machine tool for quite a long time. So choosing the right circular saw is crucial. Otherwise it will give you trouble and you will be forced to replace the tool with a new one soon after buying. That will be a complete wastage of money.
Apart from the factors above, brand value is another consideration. There are many people who love to pay higher for the brand. And brand products are less likely to go wrong. Even if there is some issue with the product, they offer you warranty for support. So brand and the after sale support is important. Generally a product from a well-known brand tends to be more expensive than something from an average brand. But when you pay for a brand product, you will get the mental relief that you are paying for the quality. If the manufacturer has trust on his product, he will provide you with warranty. So if unfortunately something goes wrong you can take help to recover the issue.
If you have a budget, it could be a problem for you to choose from a premium product. But do not worry. There are a lot of good options that you will find at an affordable price. But as a trade off, you have to spend more time on research. In our list above we have reviewed some best circular saw models at an affordable price; you can take help from that as well.
As we were saying earlier, solid structure and design, great cutting performance and best value for price, these are the ultimate considerations. You can spend as much as it requires for a premium quality circular saw, never means that you will spend for just anything. You need to be careful if that is the right one you are looking for and that is a good fit for your job. You may like something expensive, very powerful corded circular saw, but if your job requires a cordless one than even spending for the premium circular saw will be a complete wastage.
There is no alternative to research, that we suggest our visitors. We have reviewed a lot of circular saws and then made a shortlist of the top 10. This was quite time-consuming. You can do the same. But the smart choice will be taking help from us that will save lots of time. Know the terms properly, know how they work, ask help from friends who are expert, if you don’t find any information ask the dealers for that, this will help you getting the best circular saw.
If you read our best circular saw review that we have above, you will notice that there are different purposes. Someone is looking for a circular saw for his professional workshop. Someone is looking for something totally for the home garage, for smaller at home projects. Someone is looking for versatile tools.
There are differences between purposes, between designs and between performances. If you need a small circular saw like Rockwell 3440K then why will you spend lot more for something those are intended for professional use? This is what we meant earlier, be honest with what your target is. If you have a budget issue, and the right saw is just above the budget, try to manage some more. You are very less likely going to replace or change this power tool soon after buying. So make sure that the home is smart enough.
Otherwise you will spend a lot of money for the tool and end up getting a wrong tool. The power, cutting performances does not vary a lot, what varies is the design. The design separates the best tool from the others. Follow the guidelines we wrote, you will get what are u looking for. And never consider researching a waste of your time. Happy shopping!